|$2,400||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$1,879||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$3,365||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$2,350||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$2,350||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$10,871||3 Bed||3 Bath|
|$2,450||2 Bed||1 Bath|
|$3,620||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$2,200||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$2,325||1 Bed||1 Bath|
|$7,085||3 Bed||3.5 Bath|
Founded in 1821, The George Washington University is private, coeducational research university, with a population of 21,409 students from 150 countries. The George Washington University has been ranked by The Princeton Review as one of the most "politically active" schools. Notable alumni include U.S. Senator from Nevada and Senate majority leader Harry Reid, former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, and former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy.
63% of GW students live in campus owned, operated, or affiliated housing, and the other 37% live off campus. The university's main campus is located in Foggy Bottom, just four blocks away from The White House; the other two campuses are located in Mount Vernon, the plantation home of George Washington, and the Virginia Science and Technology campus in Ashburn, Virginia. The 42-acre Foggy Bottom campus is located in the heart of the city, where over 100 campus buildings are in a six-block radius. The 25-acre Mount Vernon campus has six residence halls.
The majority of academic buildings are located on the Foggy Bottom Campus. Some classes, typically the small ones, are taught on Mount Vernon Campus, where students can use the 24-hour shuttle bus to ride between the two. The Mount Vernon campus is particularly appealing to athletes because the tennis courts and soccer fields reside there. The Foggy Bottom GW metro stop is located on the main campus and runs on the Blue, Orange, and Silver lines. The Foggy Bottom Metro runs to Union Station where Amtrak is available to get to Virginia.
George Washington's residences can be found throughout Foggy Bottom; most residential halls have been converted from hotels and apartment buildings, so they are some of the nicest in the country. The Mount Vernon campus is beautiful, even though it's only a fifteen-minute drive from Foggy Bottom, it feels like the countryside. Singles are much more common on this Mount Vernon campus. The Foggy Bottom neighborhood is very safe. All campuses are in upscale areas, and most dorms are co-ed.
Most residences are walking distance to the academic buildings, however if you are taking a class in the health and wellness department, the walk can be up to ten blocks, depending on where you are coming from.
All freshmen are required to live on campus and have the option to live on campus throughout their undergraduate experience.
Although most students choose to live on campus, there are also a lot of great off-campus options that can be cheaper. Not only are there great options in the areas surrounding the GW campus, but also Georgetown has lots of options and a cute little town with great shopping. (Unfortunately the metro does not stop there but the walk isn't bad.)
The metro schedule can be handy for those interested in living somewhere a bit off campus in downtown DC.
For those interested in finding housing near GW. Check out our Interactive HeatMaps.
Out of 2,800 alumni who took a survey that GW sent out, 815 people lived in the DC metro area, 638 lived in the northeast, 494 lived in the South & Midwest, 342 lived in the west coast, and 245 were living international.
Renter's Guide to moving to DC:
Transportation maps and schedules:
Real Estate Firms located physically around GW's main campus:
GW Off Campus Services