The Media and Entertainment district is the nightlife hub in a city famous for it. As a result, the area is very popular not only among the tourists that flock here, but also students and young professionals alike. If you like to party and always have some sort of event going on you can check out, you will feel right at home in the Omni.
So while the population here definitely trends a bit younger, the neighborhood is also fairly attractive for families. There are many family friendly parks throughout the neighborhood and there are some solid schools nearby. Also, with the neighborhood being so close to the beach, it attracts a ton of people who might live here for that fact alone.
In fact, this neighborhood had the biggest population growth in all of Miami in the last five years (at over 60%), which just shows how attractive of an area it is for all different kinds of people. If you are looking to follow in their footsteps and live here, there are a few different options you have in terms of property. The most common types of residence to find in this neighborhood are definitely modern high-rise apartment buildings, but there are a few older buildings and homes that can be found here too if that suits your style and desire.
In the early 20th century, this neighborhood was most known as being a high-end shopping area with a number of large department stores throughout the neighborhood. This continued until the late 70s when the Omni International Mall opened up, but closed in 2000.
In the 2000s, the urban blight in the neighborhood was saved by the construction of high-rise apartment buildings. The creation of these apartments brought a lot of people in to the neighborhood, and it is still among the fastest growing neighborhoods in the city thanks to the modern living, retail locations, bars and restaurants.
This increased popularity has definitely had an effect on the cost of living, most notably the rent. The median rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in this neighborhood is $1925. While it is more expensive than almost anywhere else in Miami, it is actually one of the more affordable places to live in Downtown Miami. However, with the fact it is still growing and more people want to live there, there is a good chance the rent will get even more expensive in this neighborhood, so get in while it’s still the most affordable place downtown.
As with most of the neighborhoods in the downtown area of Miami, using public transportation is the most popular way of getting around. There are numerous different stops in and around the Omni that allow for you to get anywhere in Miami with ease. Because of this, it is much more common to see people live a car-free lifestyle than it is to see people driving around if they live in this neighborhood. The Metromover is a favorite method as it is free and makes many different stops around Miami.
In addition to public transit, there are also a few other good ways to get around this neighborhood. There are numerous bike lanes in this neighborhood and bike parking throughout the area, which make that a viable option. Also, the neighborhood is very pedestrian-friendly and safe so many people elect to walk here.
- Miami International University of Art and Design
- University of Wynwood
- University of Miami
- Atlantis University
- Home to nearly 2000 different pieces, the Perez Art Museum is one of the coolest places to visit in the Omni. The museum focuses on 20th century contemporary art and also offers a variety of different programs. The building is also right on the waterfront, which adds to the sight of the stunning architecture.
- The Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts is the largest performing arts center in the entire state. A number of performances in many different genres take place here and it is one of the best places in the country to check out a show. The center also offers community programs and performances for free, to make this place accessible for everyone.
- This neighborhood is home to the Ultra Music Festival, which is an electronic music festival. It takes place at the end of March and features some of the most famous and popular DJs on the planet. Well over 100,000 people attend this festival in a given year.
- Bayfront Park is one of the best places to enjoy a walk with waterfront views. In addition to the stunning scenery, this park is also great for spending an afternoon with friends or family and has a theater, pavilion and other cool things to check out.
- As mentioned, this is a tourist hotspot which means there are always new events going on and even when there isn’t, there are a ton of cool restaurants, bars and shops to check out in the Omni.