As you could expect from an area that house 1.8 million people, the atmosphere of Broward County will vary depending on where you are. If you choose to live in the eastern part of the county, you will be greeted by beaches, tourists, and a much busier lifestyle. However, if you opt to move west, you will enjoy a much quieter and more family-oriented atmosphere. Out to the west you also see much more wildlife than you would out east. You may even be right on the doorstep of the Everglades Wildlife Management Area, which is a huge chunk of land not developed yet that hosts all kind of wildlife.
As you could expect, this variability also goes for the properties you will be able to rent. In Broward County, you will be able to find the perfect place for you as the county offers everything from cheap, traditional buildings, to newer developments with views that you just can’t beat. Once you narrow down which area of Broward you want to rent in, it should make your property search a bit easier as well.
When it comes to moving or living here, don’t be afraid of fitting in or anything like that either, as Broward County is very multicultural. Nearly half of the population of this area is white, with the other half largely being made up of Hispanics, African Americans, and Asian individuals. There are also many different industries to work in as the county changes so much depending on where you decide to live.
The area here has been settled for thousands of years, but Broward County was officially founded in 1915, named after a former Governor of Florida. Soon after being incorporated, developers became turning the wetland found throughout the area into island communities for tourists and residents alike. This has continued to this day, but there is still a ton of undeveloped land found throughout the country which could be further developed in the future.
The median rent for Broward County is just over $1100, but you can find places that cost anywhere from only a few hundred, up to ones that will run you a few thousand. The amount of rent will largely depend on where you want to rent. The closer you are to Miami and the closer you are to the ocean, the higher your rent will likely be.
If you live on the east side of the neighborhood near the more populous tourist areas, public transit is a fairly viable way to get around, with the bus being the most popular medium. However, if you live far out west, public transportation is not as well connected, and thus is not recommended.
By far the most popular way to get around and commute to work is by driving a car. In fact, about 80% of people commute to work by driving themselves. Because of this, it is definitely a good idea to have a car if you decide to rent and live here, as it will save you a ton of time in the long run. Even if you decide to rent on the east side of the county, having a car isn’t a bad idea.
Of course, walking and biking are always viable options as the weather is often gorgeous in South Florida, but this really isn’t practical for getting groceries, shopping or going to work, unless you are only travelling a few blocks to do those things.
- Broward College
- Keiser University
- Kaplan University
- Out to the west of this county, there are miles and miles of beaches to check out. This area of the world has some of the best beaches on the planet and you should definitely make an effort to check them out.
- West Lake Park is in southeast Broward County and is one of the few places to experience nature and the great outdoors on the eastern part of this county. The park has picnic areas, boat rentals, sports courts, a playground, and lots of waterfront views.
- Butterfly World is a butterfly park that features over 5000 live butterflies. This park is located in Coconut Creek and is the largest butterfly park on the planet and was the first of its kind in the Western Hemisphere.
- Hard Rock Stadium resides just south of Broward County and is home to the Miami Dolphins. A number of cool sports events and concerts take place here, and it can be a great place to take a tour of as well.
- The Galleria is a giant mall located in Fort Lauderdale that features over 100 retailers. If you are in the area, this is definitely one shopping center you have to make an effort to see.