Because the neighborhood is off of the mainland and fairly far away from the heart of Boston, very few Bostonians travel to and visit Columbia Point. As a result, the people who live here don’t have to deal with the amount of the traffic that most people in Boston do. As you could expect, the neighborhood is surrounded by water which gives some of the best waterfront views in all of Boston. Parks also line many of the waterfront areas of this neighborhood, which gives you some great places to walk and check out the views.
The neighborhood is home to many of the most important institutions of Boston including the JFK Presidential Library and Museum and the University of Massachusetts Boston, whose campus takes up around half the area of this neighborhood. The population of the neighborhood is largely made up of students of the university, staff who works there and other individuals or families craving a quieter life and some solid waterfront views.
Despite its proximity to busy and people filled Dorchester and Boston, Columbia Point has a the vibe of a suburb right next to the big city. This means the streets and neighborhood are very quiet in comparison to streets only a few minutes away to the west. As a result, the restaurant and nightlife scene in this neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired compared to most of Boston.
The area used to be infamous for its terrible living conditions and gang-related incidents at the housing projects decades ago, but this reputation has faded away due to cleaning up the neighborhood and better development and initiatives.
Prior to the railway reaching this neighborhood in the mid-1800s, Columbia Point was largely just farmland with animals roaming freely. In the late 1800s, a sewer line and pumping station was created using the undeveloped land of this neighborhood. In World War 2, structures were created here to house prisoners of war.
Eventually, landfill dumping started which turned the area into the neighborhood it is today. The various different institutions here began to attract more individuals who wanted to live here.
The rent can vary a bit in this neighborhood, and this will depend on which type of building you rent in, the views you have from your apartment and more. In general, you can expect to pay around $2000 or so for a one-bedroom, but that can be higher or lower depending on the location, age and style of your apartment. The rest of the cost of living in the neighborhood is similar to the rest of Boston, though Dorchester does offer some places to shop and eat if you are on a budget.
As mentioned earlier, this neighborhood is quite quiet and as a result, many of the people living here have cars to get around. There is a lot of parking available so owning and using a car isn’t as daunting as it is in other areas of Boston. However, if you don’t have a car or prefer public transit, that is also a very common way of getting around the neighborhood and the neighboring Dorchester or Boston.
Riding a bike is also a very common practice in this neighborhood thanks to the flat roads and the fact that the Harborwalk offers an easy ride along the waterfront, without having to worry about cars. Walking is also an option and the views definitely make it an enjoyable walk that won’t feel like too much work.
- University of Massachusetts Boston
- Boston University Medical Campus
- Joe Moakley Park is a very expansive park located just north of the neighborhood. There are sports fields, places to walk, places to have a picnic and much more.
- The Dorchester Shores Reservation is a 44-acre state park that is very popular among swimmers and those who want to go to the beach or the park that is located here.
- The JFK Presidential Library and Museum is located in this neighborhood and it is one of the most architecturally beautiful buildings in the city. There are tons of interesting exhibits and collections in the library and museum which are sometimes changed and updated over time. Definitely a good place to check out for the history buff.
- The Harborwalk is a long walkway in Boston that goes around the perimeter or this neighborhood and allows for people to walk and bike right next to the water and enjoy the views. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a nice day in the neighborhood.
- Savin Hill Cove is a picturesque cove and marsh right in the big city. Lots of people boat and paddleboard in the cove and there is also a yacht club just south of the cove and thus, you will see many nice boats in the area.
- The University of Massachusetts Boston campus makes up a ton of the landmass in this neighborhood and thus, you should check it out. The campus is large and beautiful, with plenty of things to do and check out.