NYC Public Pools Opening This Summer
When are NYC Public Pools Opening?
Looking for a way to beat the summer heat wave? New York City has reopened most of their public swimming pools for the season. Outdoor pool hours are from 11:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m. daily, with pool cleanings scheduled in between from 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Masks are not required, but it is recommended that you stay home if you are sick.
According to NYC Parks, there is currently a national lifeguard shortage, which means all swim programs, senior swim, lap swim, and Learn to Swim have been cancelled for 2022. Unlike some pools in other cities, NYC has some specific rules and “to knows” before you dive in headfirst.
Rules for NYC Public Pools
- Shirts with color are not allowed on deck, so be sure to bring a white shirt if you want to cover up or need a rest from the sun.
- Items such as electronic devices, jewelry, credit cards, glass bottles, food, and (surprise) newsletters, should be kept at home as they aren’t allowed or are just risky to have around in a public swimming pool.
- If you forget your sunscreen, that’s okay! Free sunscreen is provided to city pools across all five boroughs.
- Accidentally brought some valuables with you? Thankfully, there are lockers at the pools, but you will be the one who has to provide the lock. Locks are actually required to enter, but certain locks like luggage locks are not accepted.
- If you have a baby or small child that is in love with floaties, maybe don’t give into their desires. Floaties can take up a lot of room at a public pool, so instead bring some inflatable arm cuffs so they can learn to float or swim without taking up space. Or just stay in the shallow areas until they learn how to swim.
NYC Public Pools Across the Boroughs
Pools open in the Bronx:
- Claremont Pool | 170th Street and Clay Avenue
- Crotona Pool | 173rd Street and Fulton Avenue
- Edenwald Houses Pool | Schieffelin Avenue & E. 229th Street
- Floating Pool | Tiffany Street & Viele Avenue
- Haffen Pool | Ely and Burke Avenues
- Mapes Pool | E. 180th Street between Mapes & Prospect Avenues
- Mullaly Pool | E. 164th St. bet. Jerome & River Aves.
- Playground 174 Pool | E. 174th Street & Bronx River Avenue
- Van Cortlandt Pool | W. 242nd St. and Broadway
Pools open in Brooklyn:
- Betsy Head Pool | Boyland, Livonia and Dumont Avenues
- Bushwick Pool | Humboldt Street, Flushing & Bushwick Avenues
- Commodore Barry Pool | Flushing and Park Avenues, Navy and North Elliot Streets
- David Fox/PS 251 Pool | E. 54th Street & Avenue H
- Douglass and DeGraw Pool | Third Avenue and Nevins Street
- Glenwood Houses Pool | Farragut Road & Ralph Avenue
- Howard Pool | Glenmore and Mother Gaston Blvd., East New York Avenue
- Jesse Owens Pool | 117 Stuyvesant Avenue
- Kosciuszko Pool | Marcy Avenue between DeKalb Avenue & Kosciuszko Street
- Lindower Park Pool | E. 60th St, Mill Rd. & Strickland Avenue
- McCarren Park Pool | McCarren Park
- PS 20 Playground Pool | Between Clermont Ave. & Adelphi St.
- Red Hook Pool | Bay and Henry Streets
- Sunset Park Pool | Seventh Avenue between 41st and 44th Streets
Pools in Manhattan:
- Abe Lincoln Pool | 5th Avenue & E. 135th Street
- Asser Levy Pool | Asser Levy Place and E. 23rd Street
- Dry Dock Pool | E. 10th St. between Aves. C and D
- Frederick Douglass Pool | Amsterdam Ave. between 100th & 102nd Streets
- Hamilton Fish Pool | Pitt Street and Houston Street
- Jackie Robinson Pool | Bradhurst Avenue and W. 146th Street
- John Jay Pool | East of York Avenue on 77th St.
- Marcus Garvey Pool | 124th Street and Fifth Avenue
- Sheltering Arms Pool | W. 129th Street and Amsterdam Ave.
- Thomas Jefferson Pool | E. 112th Street and First Avenue
- Tompkins Square Pool | Ave. A between E. 7th & E. 10th Streets
- Vesuvio Pool | Thompson St. between Spring & Prince Streets
- Wagner Pool | E. 124th Street between First and Second Avenues
Pools in Queens:
- Astoria Pool | 19th Street and 23rd Drive
- Fisher Pool | 99th Street and 32nd Avenue
- Fort Totten Pool | 338 Story Avenue
- Liberty Pool | 173rd Street and 106th Avenue
- Marie Curie Park Pool | 211th Street & 46th Avenue
- PS 186 Playground Pool | Little Neck Parkway & 72nd Avenue
- Windmuller Pool | 54th Street & 39th Road
Pools on Staten Island:
- Faber Pool | Faber Street and Richmond Terrace
- General Douglas Pool | Jefferson Street & Seaver Avenue
- Lyons Pool | Pier 6 and Victory Boulevard
- Maggie Howard Pool | Tompkins Ave. between Hill & Broad Sts.
- PS 46 Playground Pool | Parkinson Avenue & Kramer Street
- Tottenville Pool | Hylan Boulevard and Joline Avenue
- West Brighton Pool | Henderson Avenue between Broadway and Chappel Streets